Health and Safety Manager
Health and Safety Manager
Excellent annual leave allowance of 29 days per annum, plus bank holidays, with the opportunity to receive a further 5 extra days on completion of 5 years service. Flexible working hours, onsite gym facilities, childcare vouchers, cycle to work scheme, and pension scheme
The mission of Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service (RBFRS) is to enable the people of Royal Berkshire to lead safe and fulfilling lives. We are currently undergoing high levels of organisational change to achieve our mission and we are seeking a high calibre Health and Safety professional to lead and manage our Health and Safety Department. For this critically important role, we are looking to recruit a highly competent and engaging safety professional, who possesses strong influencing skills. The successful candidate will be flexible in their approach, as the ability to work at both a strategic and operational level is essential. Previous experience in a Health and Safety position within the emergency services would be advantageous but is not essential. To be considered for this role you must have a minimum of a NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent, and you will hold a minimum of Grad IOSH status, preferably working towards CMIOSH. Location – Based out of RBFRS headquarters in Calcot, Reading, with some travel across the county required.
Main Duties (See Job Description for full details)
- Act as a competent person to provide health and safety advice to Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service and Thames Valley Fire Control Service (TVFCS)
- Champion health and safety across the service
- Lead and manage the health and safety department
- Lead on the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of health and safety policies and procedures
- Form good working relationships with colleagues across the service and take a lead in developing a positive health and safety culture
- Undertake health and safety research and project work into new and emerging risks affecting fire service operations
- Excellent communication skills
- High level of logical reasoning powers including high level investigative skills
- Able to maintain effective relationships with a wide range of people
- Able to persuade, enthuse and convince a wide range of colleagues, including senior managers, of their duties towards health and safety
- Excellent working knowledge of UK health and safety legislation and guidance
- Experience of health and safety management in a person based organisation
If you are interested in applying for this position, an application form, and a full job profile can be obtained from our website - http://www.rbfrs.co.uk/working-for-us/vacancies/ . For an informal chat regarding the position, please email the health and safety team on Health&SafetyDepartment@rbfrs.co.uk to arrange a suitable time.
Completed applications should be sent to HR@rbfrs.co.uk
The closing date for the return of completed application forms is 0900 hours on Friday 11th August
It is anticipated that the interviews will take place week beginning 21 August.
Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service is committed to equality of opportunity, and is actively seeking a more diverse workforce. If you are disabled and meet the essential criteria of the role, you will be guaranteed an interview.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.