Health and Safety Advisor
4 days left
Health and Safety Advisor
Forestry Commission Scotland (FCS) is the Scottish Government’s adviser and regulator on forestry. Forest Enterprise Scotland (FES) is an agency of FCS, managing the National Forest Estate (NFE) on behalf of the Scottish Ministers. The NFE extends to 639,000 hectares, some 9% of Scotland’s land area, and is managed by a team of 800 staff distributed across Scotland. Together FCS and FES serve as part of the Environment and Forestry Directorate of the Scottish Government.
The Health and Safety team is part of FES’ Business Services Unit, which provides a service to both FCS and FES. The team provides advice and support on a wide range of issues and work activities including (but not exclusively) forestry operations, civil engineering, construction, visitor and public safety, environmental and conservation projects, quarrying, driving, lone working, occupational health and wellbeing.
FES is also driving forward an ambitious Health, Safety and Wellbeing Improvement Programme to build upon the good work already underway to reduce accidents and provide a healthy environment. Our vision is to create an excellent health, safety and wellbeing culture within our organisation.
Purpose of the Job
- Give clear, accurate and timely general advice and guidance to FC managers, employees, customers and contractors on health, safety and wellbeing issues.
- Liaise with “Technical experts” both within FES / FCS and elsewhere to develop appropriate solutions and systems to effectively manage health and safety risks.
- Take a lead role as the knowledgeable expert on specific health and safety issues.
- Be proactive in engaging with staff to understand, learn and share practices that support an improving health and safety culture and promote employee wellbeing.
- To help drive forward the Health, Safety and Wellbeing Improvement Programme.
Key Work Areas
Advise and Monitor:
- Provide professional advice and support to the business on a range of health and safety issues, sourcing external expertise if required.
- Contribute to the review and development of FCS Health and Safety advice and other operational guidance documents.
- Monitor and analyse health and safety issues, identifying trends and developing better ways of working where possible.
- Support the investigation of all serious accidents involving employees and members of the public and share learning across FC and the wider industry.
- Contribute to the delivery of a rolling programme of audits/support visits in order to ensure compliance with health and safety policy and good practice.
Promote health and safety:
- Promote a positive health, safety and wellbeing culture.
- Promote effective risk control and safe working systems across the business.
- Support the development of and communicate new health and safety policies and guidance.
- Support the development and delivery of any required H&S training.
Internal and External Engagement:
- Work with the Head of Business Services, the H&S Manager and the management of FCS and FES to deliver the FC’s H&S strategy.
- Develop and maintain relationships across the organisation with managers and teams in order to facilitate open conversations around H&S issues, risks and mitigation.
- Support and attend local safety committee meetings and other safety events.
- Develop and maintain relationships with experts out with the Forestry Commission in Scotland to provide support and specialist knowledge when necessary; ENFOR partners, Scottish Government, FC England.
- Advise FCS and FES representatives and participate in FISA Working Groups.
- Work with colleagues in HR to advise on HAVS and Audio management.
For a full job specification and to apply, please click APPLY.