Safety, Health & Environmental Advisor
Safety, Health & Environmental Advisor
STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Didcot
£37,415 - £47,810
Closing Date: 15th October 2017
The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is one of Europe’s largest research organisations. We’re trusted to support, enable and undertake pioneering projects in an amazing diversity of fields. Through world-class facilities and people, we’re driving ground-breaking advances in science and engineering.
About the role:
We are looking for a Safety, Health and Environmental (SHE) Advisor at our Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (RAL).
Reporting to the Head of RAL SHE, you will assist in the development, implementation and improvement of the STFC SHE management system at the RAL Site and more widely within the STFC. You will work with RAL site management and the RAL SHE Advisor to maintain and improve the safe working environment for employees, tenants, visitors, contractors and facility users across the RAL Site.
This role is extremely varied with the main duties including:
- provide up to date professional safety advice across the very wide range of SHE hazards present on the RAL site to staff, tenants, visitors and facility users and management on all aspects of SHE legislation and the implementation of the STFC SHE management system and its safe systems of work at RAL, Chilbolton and the Cosener’s House
- undertake site safety tours providing advice to safety tour teams
- investigating SHE incidents to ensure that their root cause is identified, providing advice on their remediation and ensuring suitable actions to minimise the potential for recurrence are identified and agreed by management
- maintaining SHE enterprise as the repository for incidents and near misses ensuring the quality and timeliness of incident reports is maintained, actioned, recorded and completed
- responsible for incidents records for RAL, Chilbolton and TCH
- assisting in the maintenance and development of the STFC SHE management system contributing to continuous improvement of SHE management systems drafting new SHE codes updating existing codes following changes to SHE legislation learning from incidents, safety tours and audits and industry good practice
- proactively sharing SHE information to management and staff, for example What Why Learning and SHE Information posters and BiteSize SHE training packages
- management and procurement and budgetary control of the contract for statutory inspections at RAL for pressure systems, lifting equipment, passenger & goods lifts and Local Exhaust Ventilation systems (LEVs)
- management of the RAL site statutory inspection program, circa 6000 items across all departments, including line management of administrative resources to ensure all statutory inspections are planned in advance reports received and actioned through Liaison Officers, registering all new equipment, management of all certificates for all equipment and liaison between inspectors and Liaison Officers
- deliver and assist with the preparation of general and specialist SHE training to support delivery of the STFC SHE policy to staff, contractors, tenants, apprentices and others
- be the lead STFC noise assessor undertaking noise assessment as and when required across the STFC
- as appropriate represent the STFC in engagement with regulatory authorities on general Health and Safety matters, for example HSE, local authorities etc. reporting RIDDOR incidents to the HSE etc.
You will be educated to degree or HND level in a science or engineering discipline and have demonstrable experience of successful delivery of a SHE Advisory role or successful delivery of SHE management responsibilities in a previous role.
You must hold a NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent qualification, or NEBOSH Certificate with evidence of academic capability to study and gain a NEBOSH Diploma within 2 years.
You must have strong communication skills including written and oral and be comfortable communicating with people of all levels.
You should have excellent IT skills and be able to pick up STFC systems quickly and be already familiar with Microsoft Office including Word and Excel.
In addition to the competitive salary, an excellent index linked pension scheme and generous leave allowance are offered. Full details of offered benefits can be found on STFC’s careers pages http://www.stfccareers.co.uk/.
How to apply:
Online applications only, please submit a covering letter and CV, ensuring that the IRC reference is included in the file name description of each document uploaded. No Agencies.
The closing date for applications is 15th October 2017.
Applications are handled by UK SBS; to apply please visit our job board at http://www.topcareer.jobs/Vacancy/irc242800_7548.aspx.
Applicants who are unable to apply online should contact us by telephone on 01793 867000.