Projects Health & Safety Manager
Projects Health & Safety Manager
Hays Health & Safety have been exclusively retained by University College London (UCL) to recruit a prestigious Projects Health & Safety Manager for their Estates division.
Your New Organisation
University College London (UCL) was established in 1826, and it’s currently one of the top-rated universities in the UK, as well as internationally.
The UCL Estate comprises over 200 buildings valued at over £2 Billion, more than four million square feet of academic accommodation and approaching 4000 student bedrooms. The scale, variety and complexity of the estate are unparalleled in the sector. UCL Estates are responsible for managing the delivery of an Estate Strategy with an investment programme in excess of £1¼bn over the next ten years. The Division is leading a number of major initiatives to support and improve the Institution, transforming the Estate and the delivery of estate services. The Division’s annual budget exceeds £100 million costs and £30 million income. Over recent years, acquisitions and the integration of a number of Post Graduate Institutes (previously known as the Satellite Estate) has substantially increased the scale and complexity of the estate falling within the remit of the Division.
Your new role
The Capital Projects Health and Safety Manager will report to the Assistant Director, Project Mobilisation, leading and managing the provision of health and safety governance, assurance, compliance and high level advice in respect of capital projects across UCL’s diverse and complex estate. The main purpose of the job is lead and manage the provision of risk management and health & safety governance, assurance, compliance and high level advice in respect of all projects across UCL’s diverse and complex estate.
- Work collaboratively with Project Managers/teams, attending project meetings/boards as required, to provide specialist Health and Safety management, advice, training and instruction to ensure compliance; identify and mitigate risk; conduct stage gate reviews to provide Health and Safety approval and specialist advice.
- Manage the collation and dissemination of health & safety data and associated developments relating to construction and major capital projects; network with and provide a key point of contact for relevant external organisations e.g. the Health & Safety Executive.
- Review construction and projects related Health and Safety procedures, identifying the need for change, improvement and revision; update guidelines and procedures as necessary - working collaboratively with the Estates Environment, Health and Safety Manager.
- Guide UCL project officers to fulfil their responsibilities in relation to CDM regulations and other relevant construction safety and fire regulations pertaining to construction projects.
- Support the audit and monitoring policy for Estates by establishing a monitoring programme for projects and implement systems to manage contractors, monitor competence, and audit Health and Safety performance. Undertaking audits as required.
- Investigate and report on any potential or actual breeches of health & safety regulations using RiskNET; initiate appropriate remedial action either directly or via the relevant project team; (Note; remedial action may exceptionally include the immediate cessation of construction work).
- Represent the Estates Division and UCL where required at specialist forums, external organisations and networks to ensure an understanding and interpretation of legislative and best practice developments. Ensure the dissemination and implementation of changes to procedures and working practices.
What you will need to succeed
You will be a Chartered member of IOSH, who holds a degree, diploma or NVQ/SVQ level 5 in Occupational Health and Safety. You will have significant practical knowledge of CDM, understanding and application of relevant Health and Safety legislation in a construction environment; as well as a strong understanding of the Health and Safety issues arising from construction work in a busy, occupied, complex estate.
What you’ll get in return
You will be offered a salary up £55,000 depending on experience, and a number of extremely interesting benefits.
For an informal, confidential discussion about the role, please call our Retained Recruitment Partner Riccardo Carducci at Hays Specialist Recruitment on 0207 259 8724. All third party applications will be redirected to Hays Specialist Recruitment.