Regional Safety Health & Environment Director, Europe
Regional Safety Health & Environment Director, Europe
- Excellent opportunity within acquisitive FTSE 100 business
- Strategic role; growing region; senior stakeholder engagement; effecting change
About Our Client
With roots focused on best-in-class service to businesses, Rentokil Initial's beginnings were established over 100 years ago in London. The company is now a multi-award winning, FTSE 100 and is the world's leading commercial pest control service provider, the world's leading commercial hygiene service provider as well as the world's leading commercial provider of plants and scenting. The evolution and growth of the company has seen it defined by five global regions; Europe, North America, UK & Rest-Of-World, Asia, Pacific.
With continued ambitious growth plans, the European business is currently responsible for between six and seven thousand people across 11 countries. Rentokil Initial is now looking to appoint a Regional Safety Health & Environment Director for Europe to ensure that the group and regional operating plans are effectively implemented. The group pride themselves on a continued commitment to best practice for the safety of all clients and their staff and this role is a key member of the groups Safety Health & Environment Leadership Team, including Hygiene. The individual will need to be driven, with a pragmatic approach to the practical application of Safety Health Environment (SHE) matters when engaging the existing team and have the ability to travel extensively around mainland Europe.
Rentokil Initial's success is driven by an inspiring CEO and his Senior Leadership Team. Andy Ransom joined RI ten years ago, the last five of which he has been the group's CEO who has continually improved, grown and strategically driven the business forward.
The collegiate nature of the business together with Andy's passion for taking care of customers, colleagues and communities is a positive culture which is evidenced by (but not limited to) some noteworthy awards and accolades below:-
- Britain's Most Admired Companies 2017/2018 - Business Support Sector
- Glassdoor - 7th best workplace in the UK 2017 - 8th best company culture
- Open Corporation - 9th in 2017 for Transparency in Multinational companies
- The Queens Award 2017 - Outstanding achievement in Global Trade
- HCM Excellence Awards - x2 GOLD Awards: Best Learning Team & Best Advance in Learning Tech Implementation
Reporting directly to the Operations Director and functionally to the Group SHE Director, candidates will be required to handle the following responsibilities:-
- Provide professional SHE advice and support to regional and country leadership teams, engaging with regional and country leadership teams in order to secure and strengthen their commitment to SHE.
- Provide appropriate SHE training to directors and managers to ensure that they possess the necessary knowledge, skills and awareness to enable them to lead and positively influence SHE management and behaviours within their area of responsibility.
- Assist with the recruitment and selection of Country SHE Managers.
- Act as a coach / mentor to the Country SHE Managers to ensure that they continually develop their knowledge and skills and build their capability.
- Chair the regional SHE committee, or similar, to ensure that there is effective communication and collaboration with country SHE managers.
- Promote, display, encourage and reinforce positive behaviours, in line with the Rentokil Initial's values and behaviours.
- Recognise and promote the commercial benefits of effective SHE management and provide support to enable the business to differentiate the business's services and meet market / customer SHE demands and expectations.
- Maintain an effective working knowledge of SHE legislation, company requirements, guidance / best practice and the business's activities.
- Secure and manage financial resources for the regions SHE plans.
- Global leadership of the Hygiene Category to ensure a consistent approach across the category, supporting the development and maintenance of SOPs and other operational processes requiring SHE input and promoting and sharing best practice across category activities
Assessing and Managing Risk
- Facilitate and support the implementation of RI SHE policies, management requirements and associated procedures across the region.
- Improve the management of SHE risks across the region through the development and implementation of standardised SHE policies and procedures which conform to and / or supplement RI SHE policies and management requirements.
- Evaluate any change that negatively impacts upon the region's ability to manage SHE effectively and ensure that SHE risks arising from these changes remain at an acceptable level.
- Develop, implement and maintain monitoring systems to evaluate progress towards the achievement of SHE objectives and targets; compliance with legislative requirements and the effectiveness of the SHE management system(s).
- Investigate major incidents to identify the underlying and root causes, support the implementation of corrective actions and communicate key learning / outcomes across the region, category and group.
- Analyse audit results and accident / incident statistics periodically to identify any common trends and underlying weaknesses in SHE management systems.
- Internally and externally benchmark SHE performance against other regions, categories, similar organisations and using national statistics, where possible.
Review and Improvement
- Prepare and communicate accurate SHE management reports to the Regional Managing Director, Executive Director responsible for SHE and the Regional Leadership Team, as required.
- Facilitate and participate in regular regional SHE reviews. Ensure that agendas and minutes are distributed in a timely manner before and after the meetings.
- Participate in quarterly group SHE leadership team meetings and provide appropriate feedback to the Regional Managing Director and Executive Director responsible for SHE.
- Develop, implement and maintain a SHE operating plan for the region which is aligned to RI overall SHE strategy and sets measurable objectives, targets and actions for the continual improvement of SHE performance across the region.
- Support the development of country SHE improvement plans and ensure that plans are aligned to overall group and regional objectives, targets and actions.
- Ensure that any learning from the monitoring and review processes is integrated into the operating / improvement plans and communicated effectively across the region / category, as required.
- Identify and spread SHE best practice across the region's range of business activities.
The Successful Applicant
Interested candidates must share the RI mission: to Protect People & Enhance Lives and be passionate about maintaining their market-leading edge as a top service provider. The new Regional Safety Health & Environment Director, Europe must be committed to understanding and improving the differing work cultures of the Region with their own mission to take SHE matters for the business up to the next level of quality. With this is in mind, candidates must demonstrate how they have improved and progressed other organisations with examples of how their work has positively impacted that business.
In terms of qualifications and work experience, candidates will require:
- A Formal Safety, Health and Environment qualification (NEBOSH diploma, NVQ Level 4/5, degree, or equivalent) with significant post qualification experience.
- Chartered Membership of the Institute of Occupational Safety and Health is desirable (for UK appointments only), or an equivalent professional institute.
- Significant experience as a SHE Practitioner with a minimum of five years at a strategic / corporate level in a major international organisation (multi-site), preferably in the service industry.
- Proven experience developing, implementing and auditing SHE management systems.
- Proven ability to present and train across multiple European countries
- Knowledge and experience of OHSAS 18001 and ISO14001.
In addition candidates must:
- Be able to demonstrate a thorough understanding of the principles of SHE management and the development and implementation of effective SHE management systems.
- Be able to demonstrate commercial awareness and a thorough understanding of the commercial benefits of effective SHE management.
- Have excellent communication skills (both verbal and written) in at least one European language in addition to English; persuasive with the ability to positively influence / inspire directors and managers at all levels; able to command respect from others and establish a high degree of professional credibility.
- Have excellent organisational skills and capable of meeting deadlines while often working under pressure.
- Be highly motivated with the ability to work with limited / no supervision.
- Be able to build strong working relationships and collaborate with others.
- Be an innovative thinker and problem solver capable of developing new ideas to enhance SHE strategies.
- Be able to manage projects and use technical / problem solving skills to approach complex projects.
- Results oriented with a proven track record of completing tasks whilst exceeding targets / expectations.
- Have a Full driving licence.
- Be fully I.T literate, including the use of Microsoft Office and data management systems.
What's on Offer
For the right candidate our client is offering: Competitive basic salary + Car allowance + bonus + Stock options + pension + benefits.
Please note that any 3rd party CV's or applications will be forwarded directly to Page Group