Landlord Health & Safety Manager
Landlord Health & Safety Manager
Department: Property Investment, Asset Management & Maintenance (AM&M)
Reports To: Head of Safety
Responsible For: Health & Safety Advisors (x2)
Purpose: To ensure that the whole of Aster Group stock complies with all statutory health, safety and welfare provisions with particular regard for Landlord health and safety
- Provide “knowledge expert” advice on the Management of Health and Safety at Work. Co-operate, collaborate and liaise with other members of staff within the Aster Group to ensure that there are common policies, procedures and targets and that Health & Safety is an integrated function within the organisation as a whole.
- Carry out such duties as required of a ‘Competent Person' under the requirements of the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 (Reg. 7).
- Working with the CDM Assurance Manager to provide advice and ensure compliance with the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015 for actives within the Property Investment, Asset Management and Maintenance dept. In cases where it is more appropriate to engage others to provide compliance with these regulations, assist with the procurement and maintain oversight of the appointed Principle Designer.
- Monitor standards of health and safety at work over the range of the company's activities and report on this to managers and, on a more formal basis, to Group Leadership Team, Group Audit and Boards as appropriate.
- Provide reports and statistical analysis as required by company boards, and/or health and safety related management groups (such as Group Health & Safety Panel etc.)
- Work with and assist managers and employees to develop, introduce and maintain policies, systems and procedures to minimise health and safety risks in all the company's workplaces and ensure compliance with statutory provision. Ensure that policies and procedures are reviewed and maintained on a regular basis and monitor and report on compliance with this requirement.
- Advise, inform and consult with employees on general health and safety matters relating to their own welfare, that of their colleagues, and of those with whom they have contact through their work.
- Keep up to date with and advise managers and employees about their obligations under regulation, legislation, case law, and codes of practice and recommend action to be taken.
- Ensure that regular health and safety audits and site inspections are undertaken from time to time and report on findings to management and Boards
- Work with managers and employees to ensure that they understand and implement relevant regulation, legislation, standards and codes of practice as apply to specific working environments and activities. Identify if training and development is required and make appropriate recommendations and arrangements for meeting the requirements.
- Advise on health and safety training and qualifications for employees as required. Liaising with the Health and Safety Systems and Compliance Manager
- Procure and supervise the services of specialists and consultants in areas where there is a need for specific support.
- Work with managers to develop systems which allow the company to maintain an informed view of the management of health and safety in all locations managed on its behalf.
- Liaise with insurers, local authorities, emergency response organisations, registration bodies, Institute of Occupational Safety and Health, the Health and Safety Executive and other relevant bodies to ensure that the company continues to meet appropriate standards and levels of compliance and implements best practice.
- Contribute to relevant health and safety meetings and consultative bodies throughout the Group.
- Lead, motivate and develop team members to provide a professional and high quality service to customers and colleagues.
- Monitor and measure performance, taking prompt and effective action to ensure that under performance is addressed in a timely manner within the company's relevant procedures.
- Ensure that suitable training, instruction and communication mechanisms are in place so that crucial information and advice is relayed accordingly.
- Promote and maintain a customer focus in line with the Aster Group Customer Charter.
- Promote and maintain an active approach to health and safety, in respect of yourself, colleagues and customers.
- Ensure that the Aster Group Equality & Diversity Policy is fully implemented at all times.
- Take responsibility for own personal development, keeping up to date with changes in legislation, best practice and other developments across Asset Management, which affect the business.
- Undertake other duties and responsibilities as may reasonably be required from time to time by the Head of Sustainability and Safety.
This job description is intended as a guide and is not an exhaustive list of the duties and responsibilities of this role. Such duties may vary from time to time without changing the general character of the post or the level of level of responsibility entailed.