Health and Safety Regional Manager
Health and Safety Regional Manager
Highways England are responsible for operating, maintaining and improving England’s motorways and major A roads. Over recent years, investment in our highways has increased, this has led to advances in technology, such as smart motorways; enabling traffic to flow better. However, even more is yet to be done. Considering that a third of all traffic, two thirds of heavy goods vehicles, and 98% of UK businesses rely on them, and you can see why our roads, and what we do, matters so much.
For further information on Highways England, please visit our website: www.highwaysengland.co.uk
Highways England is currently recruiting a Regional Health and Safety Manager within the Safety Engineering and Standards (SES) Directorate on a permanent basis to based in either Leeds or Darlington. This Health and Safety Manager role will act as client representative with responsibility for developing robust, collaborative relationships with designers, contractors and other stakeholders to ensure health and safety is at the forefront of all design and construction projects. This key role will involve collaborating widely to ensure that both Highways England and contracting employees comply with safety legislation, policies and practices to minimise reputational threats due to operational losses, occupational health problems, accidents and injuries.
The main focus of this role is supporting project delivery teams, ensuring they safely deliver projects and schemes within the company imperatives, focusing on Highways England behaviours and values.
The successful Health and Safety Manager will use their knowledge of health and safety legislation, in particular a sound knowledge of CDM2015 to improve business awareness of the consequence of failure to act.
Day to Day
- Act as a Health and Safety Business Partner to ensure the regional delivery to the team within the Regional Infrastructure Programme (RIP).
- Carry out assurance inspections on behalf of Highways England.
- Collaborating widely to ensure that employees comply with safety legislation, policies and practices to minimise loss.
- Work with project managers to ensure the delivery of Health and Safety and ensure effective recording of incidents, accidents and near misses.
- Support the project teams in the investigation process in order to report on findings and inform decision making.
- Monitor organisational performance in respect of health and safety and feedback to appropriate governance forum - success will be measured by positive engagement scores as well as a contribution towards internal and external performance improvements.
- Challenging employees and business leaders from all organisations, so they put health and safety at the forefront of business planning to develop and sustain a high performing health and safety culture.
- Degree or NEBOSH Diploma in Health and Safety.
- Membership of a recognised engineering or safety professional body, e.g. IOSH.
- Experience of working at a regional or programme management level and leading health and safety teams.
- Experience working with the construction and design aspect of CDM and contractors.
- Demonstrable experience of leading collaborative interactions to plan, manage, monitor and coordinate health and safety issues and risks during design and construction phases to deliver H&S objectives.
- Experience of strong networking and communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively and present results to both internal and external stakeholders.
For further information please review the job profile.
All candidates will be required to provide valid proof of Right to Work in the UK and ID at interview.
We’re expecting this role to be popular, so we may need to close the advert early if response is strong so to avoid disappointment, please apply as soon as possible.
Help keep England moving. We look forward to hearing from you.
For a full list of our vacancies please apply at recruitment.highways.gov.uk/
Closing date: 30 September 2018, 11:59PM.