Senior Health and Safety Advisor - civil engineering
Senior Health and Safety Advisor - Berkshire - £40k-£48k+package (car, pension, healthcare etc) - well-respected main contractor with an excellent reputation for staff retention and training/development. Working initially on a prestigious civil engineering project.
Summary of Role:-
Reporting to the Health & Safety Manager, the Senior Health and Safety Advisor is responsible for assisting to develop a positive health & safety culture focused upon accident prevention and improving the health & safety of all personnel on site. Initiate and maintain positive measures to raise standards, ensuring the company complies with OHSAS 18001 obligations, health & safety legislation and all minimum health & safety standards. Support the monitoring of sites through the audit process, in a proactive manner to address any issues.
You will be responsible for ensuring effective investigations take place to prevent accidents & incidents, whilst ensuring effective learning from all events are presented to The Senior Health & Safety Manager for wider business distribution.
* Spend a large proportion of your time out onsite, engaging with the workforce and identifying and situations presenting a risk, which require attention.
* Have detailed knowledge of health & safety legislation and ensure that the works are undertaken in compliance with all statuary and company requirements.
* Ensure a construction phase health & safety plan is prepared and accepted before works start and ensure the plan is continually updated throughout the project.
* Introduce initiatives to improve standards and ensure safe working, whilst focusing on the proactive side of health & safety management.
* Where required provide coaching and mentoring to junior members of the team to ensure they perform against their technical competencies as defined within their GRD and project specific duties.
* Identify, promote and where required implement health & safety best practice initiatives.
* Participate in supporting the business with regards to tenders and pre-qualification questionnaires (PQQ's) or tender submissions, as designated by Senior Safety Manager/Preconstruction Team.
* Prior to commencement on site of any subcontractor ensure an effective prestart H&S meeting is held to a formal agenda.
* Be aware of the project programme, with particular reference to the number of personnel on site at each stage, type of work to be undertaken by contractors, and the risk of contractors creating hazards for others in the same area and ensure effective daily coordination briefings are taking place.
* Work with the supply chain to establish effective relationships and ensure continuous improvement in delivering safety solutions.
* Establish a system to ensure that all personnel on site have a valid and appropriate CSCS card, or equivalent for their occupation.
* Establish a system to ensure that all personnel on site, to work or to visit, have received a site induction briefing before going on site. Ensure the induction information is regularly updated to reflect current site hazards/conditions
* Ensure that key health & safety documents are prepared in line with client specific requirements.
* Ensure effective investigations take place in relation to all accidents which involve harm, ill health or a safety incident which could have resulted in a more significant outcome.
* Be familiar with, and work within, the conditions of contract, as they relate to health & safety.
* Contribute to the production of the risk control schedule and ensure the effective production of task control sheets
* Have a good knowledge of construction trades, plant, equipment, and in particular, the hazards associated with each.
* Be aware of and understand how employment legislation impacts on the project in terms of working hours, annual leave etc.
* Understand HR procedures and work within these ensuring this for any personal who maybe under your direct control.
* Have good knowledge of the skills within the project team and company, and make effective use of head office and other resources.
* Taking part in performance appraisals maybe required in the event this role is senior to others project based health & safety personnel.
* Ensure that staff and workforce receive the relevant training and maintain a (percentage) of workforce who are trained at any one time junior members of the team and subcontractors to develop an effective safety culture on the site.
* Actively promote a collaborative, team approach by all parties involved in the project to meet the health & safety objectives.
* In cases of difference of opinion on health & safety issues, lead negotiations to reach the best solution for the project.
* Accept being looked to for solutions and direction. Be active when tackling problems that may impact on the project and always seek to exceed the norm.
* Be decisive and confident in making decisions that benefit the project and company, founded on own knowledge and experience.
* At all times, be aware of the priorities requiring health & safety attention and take action where deemed necessary.
* Clearly present and articulate as necessary to resolve problems, develop solutions, introduce innovations, etc.
Anderselite Ltd operates as both an Employment Agency and Employment Business.
Our non-discrimination policy can be viewed on our website at anderselite .com /non-discrimination-policy