Head of Health & Safety
Your new company
This diverse and research led London based university home to over 9,000 students is reputable for its innovative and challenging thinking across a wide range of disciplines. They welcome students from over 100 countries to take places on their academic courses ranging from Creative and Social Technologies to Anomalistic Psychology, with leading courses in Art & Design and Communications & Media Studies as well as being a recognised leading UK university for the quality of their research. The University campus is composed of 90 buildings covering 16 acres comprised of 18 different departments, student halls of residence all situated within a variety of building type including Victorian Grade II Listed Buildings, former Domestic Properties refurbished for academic and office purposes, post-war utility buildings and purpose built modern buildings. The University is also the owners off a large 20 acre sports ground situated a few miles away from the main campus.
Your new role
This role sits within the Estates & Facilities specialist directorate and will report into the Director for Estates and Facilities. As the Head of Health & Safety you will be responsible for leading and developing the direction, strategy and objectives for both the Health & Safety and Fire Safety for all university activities. You will be tasked with drawing up H&S policies and implementing a 5 year plan for overseeing these policies. Reviewing and constantly improving the way the University delivers its health & safety is key as well as ensuring that the performance of Health & Safety meets the strategic objectives of the University.
Key Duties will include:
- Systemic reviews of the health & safety management systems as proposed by USHA (University Safety & Health Association)
- Ensuring the University meets its legal, moral and good practice requirements in the provision of health & safety including working and living environments for students, staff and contractors
- Taking a lead on communication between all levels of staff to promote better health & safety culture
- Lead in the development of positive safety culture
- Work in conjunction with the many Academic Departments to ensure a consistent and professional approach to health and safety
- Monitor the performance of safety within the University as a whole and its departments by reviewing inspections and incident investigations and feed outcomes into your overall strategic plan
- Review and advise on risk assessments for events throughout the University campus
- Work closely with the wellbeing team
- Line management will include 2 direct reports
What you'll need to succeed
In order to be successful you will need to be experienced within the Health & Safety industry and ready to take either a step up for continue in a high level strategic role. You will need to hold Chartered (CMIOSH) status or equivalent as well as experience or qualification within Fire Safety. Strategic level experience of delivering and guiding health and safety in a medium/large organisation is essential. Higher education/University experience is desirable but not essential, but an understanding of how public sector H&S works would be a large benefit. A track record in advising on changes, promoting health & safety culture and delivering improvements to the provision of health & safety is essential. The University is looking for the successful candidate to be driven and committed to proactively increasing the presence of Health & Safety and have a strong personality to match their strong technical skills.
What you'll get in return
In return you will receive a Grade 9 Salary (£54,61.45 - £61,019.63) as well as an excellent annual leave entitlement with additional closing days at Christmas and Easter. You will be a member of either the USS or LFPA pension scheme as well as gaining access to a variety of discounts including high street retailers. The University is committed to learning & development with all staff having access to a variety of frequent lunchtime and evening talks, seminars and performances. There are well-being initiatives on offer as well as on site dining facilities and gym. The University is located with fantastic transport links with the offer of interest free travel to work loan.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.