Head of HSQE
Purpose of the role:
To provide robust leadership on Safety, Quality and Environmental fronts whilst ensuring the effective maintenance and management of TEAM Industrial Services (TEAM) HSQE Systems.
- To build a ‘safety-first’ and a ‘right first time’ culture and to foster positive safe behaviours across the TEAM business.
- To provide specialist input and guidance to the Leadership Team in the pursuit of business aims related to HQSE goals and to formally report to the same on a bi-monthly basis.
- To lead a team of HQSE Advisors in maintaining and operating relevant management systems.
- To maintain the organisation’s external (ISO and commercial) certifications and drive any changes demanded for business or regulatory purposes
- To oversee and execute planned environmental, safety and quality audits of each TEAM site as part of existing ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 programmes.
- To maintain and develop an effective non-conformance management programme so that rework costs are minimised.
- To periodically develop new strategic initiatives to re-energise the HQSE agenda.
- To monitor systems of work (routine and non-routine) employed at each TEAM site & Core Team to ensure that we do not put our people (or property) at risk of injury or damage.
- To oversee, develop and deliver in-house training as needed to fulfil TEAM HQSE obligations and statutory requirements.
- To oversee standard & emergency safety protocols at each of our facilities & within our Core Teams to ensure that these are adequate and effective (i.e. Fire prevention measures, Emergency procedures, H&S information, First Aider provision, Signage, local PAT testing etc).
- To oversee TEAM facilities compliance with legal & regulatory obligations (i.e. asbestos, noise requirements, noise, vibration issues, environmental, LOLER and PUWER issues, legionella etc).
- To set department priorities in relation to day to day events and activities.
- To ensure that effective investigations are conducted into any Accidents or Incidents which occur and to make recommendations that will prevent recurrence.
- To ensure that in-house Safe Visit and Near Miss reporting programmes (Environmental or Safety related) continue to generate effective culture change.
- To liaise with external auditors (Certification Bodies and individual customers)
- To help defend the company against any legal actions taken by Enforcing Authorities or other parties in matters relating to Health, Safety and Environment
- To work with the other HQSE Team Members globally in pursuit of high HQSE standards across the TEAM business.
- To report to the US quarterly on Quality performance.
- To build up a useful working relationship with business leaders and managers to ensure that any significant HQSE matters are identified and addressed as necessary.
- To build up effective relationships with TEAM customers on sensitive matters relating to HQSE goals or shortcomings
- To identify significant issues for wider circulation and to draft and / or deliver good communications (e.g. Quality and Safety Circulars, Tool Box Talks etc) on the subject of safety, environmental and quality related issues generally within Team.
- To provide professional advice and guidance to TEAM staff & managers who require HSE support
- To maintain and develop an effective and usable Risk Assessment programme and to maintain compliance with our Environmental, Quality and Safety Management systems.
- To promote the effective use of in-house company reporting and recording systems (e.g. TISIGERS and TRMS.)
- IOSH Membership
- Chartered Status Preferred (either RSP, Engineering Institution or similar)
- A separate Quality or Environmental Accreditation would be advantageous (e.g. IEMA etc)
- Degree / HND level preferred in a relevant subject
- Engineering, Petrochemical or Utilities background preferred. Experience of manufacturing would also be valuable.
- Familiarity / proficiency across specialised fields (Health, Safety, Environment and Quality) in order to understand and apply advanced policies, practices, procedures, concepts and principles.
- Broad experience of the relevant issues plus appropriate qualifications
- Good interpersonal and man-management skills.
- Strong communication skills, creativity, fluency etc
This position requires significant travel to TEAM Head Office in Kendal, Cumbria and regular travel to our other depots and sites.