Health & Safety Manager
Health & Safety Manager
Hays Health & Safety have been retained by CSH Surrey to appoint a new Health & Safety Manager
Your New Organisation
CSH Surrey is Surrey’s largest and longest established NHS Community Services Provider. It is an award winning provider set up in 2006 by nurses, therapists and support staff with a passion for quality, innovation and providing higher quality healthcare. It has been running NHS health services in homes, clinics, hospitals and schools of Surrey since their creation combining the positive values from the NHS with their entrepreneurial ‘can-do’ attitude. Their support is provided to adult community health services in the mid and north west Surrey as well as children’s community health services for the whole of the county, serving more than 1 million people in total.
CSH’s vision is to be a 'pioneering and innovative organisation that empowers co-owners to consistently deliver exceptional care for a healthier community'. With strong partnerships and motivated employees, they drive their care delivery continuously to a better standard. In June 2017 CHS Surrey received a ‘good’ rating from the CQC with ‘outstanding’ for how caring their teams are.
As a not-for-profit social enterprise, CSH Surrey exists to benefit its local communities and any surplus is re-invested back into improving services and into local communities through its Community Fund. Set up as a social enterprise CSH Surrey exists to benefit its local communities and every two months it awards grants to help support health & wellbeing projects run by local groups such as Mid Surrey Mencap, Home Start Elmbridge and The Bees Boccia Club.
- People First – all people feel respected and valued as individuals
- Integrity – all people feel listened to and involved
- Enterprising – all people feel that CHS Surrey is focused on finding solutions
- Exceptional Delivery – all people feel safe and reassured by CSH Surrey’s high standards
CSH Surrey is a passionate, person-focused community service and they are looking for a permanent Health & Safety Manager to join their team.
Your New Role
CSH Surrey are looking to appoint a new permanent Health & Safety Manager due to a retirement in the team. The role will take the lead for Health & Safety throughout the organisation including its safety management systems, delivery of its safe practices and promotion of high health & safety standards. You will be an integral part of CSH Surrey leading on the development of H&S programmes, policies and procedures.
Health & Safety is in the development phases in the organisation so this role will involve using your own initiative to lead in developing and implementing a robust health and safety management system and continue to build a positive safety culture. You will need to use your positive and proactive attitude to embed a strong health & safety foundation for CSH Surrey.
On a day to day tasks and responsibilities will include but not limited to a selection of the following:
- Develop and maintain standards for risk assessments and work with managers and safety coordinators to ensure risk assessment underpins activities within the working environment.
- Working with the Head of Learning and Development to organise and deliver a variety of training courses to the board, executive and all Co-owners within CSH Surrey covering such topics as, health and safety for managers and supervisors, risk assessment, hazardous substances, display screen equipment, office safety and fire safety
- Liaise with the relevant CSH Surrey leads on all areas of health and safety and working with external stakeholders when required
- Monitor the contract with CSH Surrey’s external H&S providers, ensuring detailed reporting against the specification on activity and effectiveness
- Where appropriate and in conjunction with managers lead with the production, monitoring, review, and implementation of Health and Safety Policies and Procedures throughout CSH Surrey
- Monitor changes in health & safety legislation, identify those which apply to CSH Surrey and ensure relevant information is disseminated to appropriate departments in CSH Surrey
- Support CSH Surrey in the administration of RIDDOR, accident/incident reporting and the investigation of serious accidents and ill health in line with CSH Surrey’s Root Cause Analysis Tool
- Confirm the annual work programme for the Health and Safety consultants (external contract) and an annual report of progress
- Develop audits for use and implementation in relation to health and safety
- Advise the CSH Surrey Estates Manager on premises related health and safety matters.
- Identify and develop Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) and monitoring of effectiveness of the health and safety management system
This will cover all CSH Surrey Sites but will be based at Woking Community Hospital reporting into the Commercial Director.
What you will need to Succeed
In order to be successful you will need to be a qualified and experienced health & safety professional within an innovative mind and proactive ‘can-do’ attitude. You will need to hold a minimum of the NEBOSH Certificate with evidence of continuing professional development or desirably hold the NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent. Favourable experience would be within the NHS environment however all industry applications will be considered based on an individual basis. Technical expertise is expected to be strong in legislation, implementation of policies, fire safety and investigation. To be successful you will also need to be an excellent communicator who can negotiate, persuade and engage across all levels. Please note travel is essential across sites so vehicle access is required.
What you will get in Return
CSH Surrey is part of the NHS ‘family’ so they are able to offer benefits similarly in line with those in the NHS. If you are already employed by the NHS you will receive continuous service benefits and if you are joining from beyond the NHS you will be entitled to joining the NHS Pension Scheme as well as other NHS employment benefits including their generous annual leave of 27 days increasing with years in service. CSH Surrey also offers ‘Benefits+ Package’ which includes a range of salary sacrifice benefits aimed to making savings on everyday costs. There is a standard 37.5 hours per week and all employees will be supported by CSH Surrey’s health & wellbeing programme which includes monthly themed campaigns and activities and monthly free meditation and relaxation sessions to improve employee wellbeing.
Key Application Dates
- Applications close on 14th December 2018
- Early application is advised
- Interviews will be held on a rolling basis dependent on applications
For an informal, confidential discussion about the role, please call our Retained Recruitment Partner Nicole Smith at Hays Specialist Recruitment on 0207 259 8724. All third party applications will be redirected to Hays Specialist Recruitment.