Health & Safety Assurance Manager (18-24 month FTC)
Health & Safety Assurance Manager (18-24 month FTC)
Your New Company
The University of the Arts London (UAL) has an international reputation in art, design, fashion, communication and the performing arts. With close to 19,000 students from over 130 countries. UAL is made up of 6 colleges – Camberwell College of Arts, Central Saint Martins, Chelsea College of Arts, London College of Communication, London College of Fashion and Wimbledon College of Arts – and they are currently looking for a Health & Safety Assurance Manager to ensure the safety of not only their students but their 2500 salaried staff, associates and visiting lecturers.
UAL are constantly looking to improve their services to students and have embarked on a multi-million pound transformative construction project to build new sites for London College of Fashion in Stratford and London College of Communication in Elephant and Castle. The development of Wimbledon College of Arts as an integrated performance collegeencompassing all aspects of the performing arts and our newly created Creating Computing Institute are examples of how they are constantly challenging themselves to change and develop to meet the demands of their current and future students.
Your New Team
As the Health & Safety Assurance Manager for UAL you will be an integral part of UAL’s health and safety team, which is part of the Operations and External Affairs (OEA) directorate which reports to the Deputy Vice Chancellor for Operations and External Affairs (the ‘COO’). Led by the Director of Health and Safety, their aim is to ensure that our staff and students are able to work and study safely without harm to their health.
Your New Role
This is a brand new role for the University reporting directly to the Director of Health & Safety. The purpose of the role is to develop and manage the University’s Health & Safety Management System (H&SMS) based on the requirements of ISO45001. The day to day responsibilities may be some of the following:
- Develop and maintain the Occupational Health & Safety Management System (H&SMS) for UAL including the associated policies, procedures and other documentation.
- Carry out regular reviews of the university’s compliance with all relevant statutory requirements for health and safety management, reporting, inspections, licencing and notifications. This includes legionella, asbestos, ladders and scaffolds, RIDDOR, the RR(FS)O, COSHH, CDM and statutory inspections of LEV, pressure vessels and lifting equipment.
- Create and implement a health and safety assurance plan that assesses and monitors the ongoing effectiveness of the H&SMS against ISO45001, and HSE and sector guidance
- Lead regular reviews of fire, health and safety policies, procedures and guidance documents on behalf of the Safety Director. Prepare drafts of the updated documents for consideration by responsible managers, trade union safety representatives and key stakeholders.
- Create and prepare health and safety performance dashboards and reports to time and at the highest quality. Prepare and deliver presentations to senior stakeholder groups on health and safety performance.
- Schedule and undertake health and safety performance monitoring activities such as desk-top reviews, surveys, inspections and audits. Identify and prioritise areas that require attention and work with responsible managers to agree the actions needed to deliver compliance and continuous improvement.
- Develop, maintain and implement a suite of guides on health and safety topics for staff and students such as shows and events, CDM, fire safety, laboratory safety, workshop and studio safety, and safety in theatres and performance spaces.
As a member of the UAL health and safety team you will be expected to demonstrate the highest level of integrity at all times, actively setting the desired standards for health and safety through their ways of working and behaviours to drive improved engagement and a positive safety culture.
What you need to be Successful
In order to be appointed as the new Health & Safety Assurance Manager you will need to be an experienced Health and Safety professional holding CMIOSH Status with experience with ISO45001. Experience in developing and implementing health & safety management systems is essential and ideally you will be able to demonstrate experience in auditing, risk management and presenting to senior leaders. Experience of working in the higher education, performing arts or creative sectors is desirable, but not essential. Strong verbal and communication skills are critical with the ability to operate strategically and provide clear direction.
The UAL health and safety team supports staff and students to achieve their desired creative outcomes and this requires people who are flexible, open minded about possible solutions to complex health and safety problems, who can adapt their thinking, work with others and really understand what someone is aiming to make, do, develop and deliver. This role requires an adaptable approach that never falls below the highest professional standards.
What you’ll receive in return
In return, University of the Arts London offers generous leave, an attractive public sector pension and a commitment to your continuing personal development and training in an environment that encourages excellence, creativity and diversity. Relocation assistance is available.
Applications for this role close on 25th February 2019.
Interviews are due to be held on 11th March 2019 (subject to change)
Early application is advised.
For an informal, confidential discussion about the role, please call our Retained Recruitment Partner Nicole Smith at Hays Specialist Recruitment on 0207 259 8724. All third party applications will be redirected to Hays Specialist Recruitment.