Health and Safety Advisor
Health and Safety Advisor
Department: People Services
Service Area: Resources Directorate
Responsible to: Senior Human Resources Business Partner
Responsible for: The delivery of Health and Safety provision.
Role Purpose: To develop a health and safety culture by providing expert advice and guidance to senior management to assist in creating and developing a health and safety culture, strategy, policies and procedures and co-ordinate health and safety activities throughout the Force.
Vetting Level: RV
- Provide expert health and safety advice and guidance on emerging, complex, critical and/or escalated issues, risks or changes in legislation or guidance, taking into consideration the criticality and vulnerability of the Force’s high risk environment.
- Develop and review Health and Safety plans, policies and procedures in response to changing Legislation, Force requirements and professional best practise guidelines.Recommending any necessary changes to the Health and Safety Scrutiny Board, ensuring a safe and healthy working environment for all individuals working with or undertaking activities for Gwent Police.
- Liaise with local (Health and Safety Executive) Inspector, other Police Forces and attend regional and National forums as necessary to ensure Gwent Police’ compliance with Health and Safety best practice.
- Co-ordinate/liaise with other Force Health and Safety competent persons with regard to specific health and safety functions/matters as required.
- Attend Health and Safety meetings to provide support, as required.Ensure that any relevant risks/health and safety information from these meetings is communicated to the Health and Safety Scrutiny Board.
- Investigate as necessary with relevant staff/teams any incidents/accidents in line with statutory and Force obligations and also highlight emerging trends to the Force’ Health and Safety Policy Committee.
- Develop and maintain constructive key relationships with internal and external stakeholders such as Occupational Health, Staff Associations. Joint Legal Services, Learning and Development, Association of Police Health and Safety Advisers to integrate health and safety matters relating to the wellbeing of staff.
- Review or undertake Health & Safety inspections and audits as required by legislation/Force policy, identifying potential hazards and recommend appropriate remedial action where necessary.
- To deliver a customer-focussed service.
- To promote and adhere to Gwent Police's Strategic Equality Plan to support the development of a diverse workforce.
- To take reasonable care of own and others' safety; to co-operate with managers/supervisors in complying with statutory health and safety duties; to report incidents, accidents, faults etc.
- To fully participate in the performance appraisal process.
- Gwent Police is a non-smoking organisation
- All potential staff to Gwent Police must display the qualities to be able to work in an organisation with minority groups and provide a service to minority groups in communities. They must show that they are able to contribute to an open, fair working environment where inappropriate behaviour is not permitted. They must display no evidence of the likelihood to contribute in any way to workplace bullying or sexist or racist behaviour.
- Gwent Police actively works with other forces in Wales and from time to time the accountabilities described above are performed within a collaborative context. A number of joint units already exist and Gwent may hold people management responsibilities for its staff alongside a number of other forces in the same unit. The role holder has to effectively manage some areas of work within such a collaborative environment.