Chief Safety Officer
Are you interested in joining one of the most important, high-profile global safety roles to drive impactful change on the safety of a nation of workers?
Nirapon is an amalgamation of two Bangla words "Nirapodh" and "Abashon" which together mean "Safe Place". Nirapon is a nonprofit organization based in the United States and is established to advance the common interests of a group of North American brands who share common goals in the safety management of their supplying Ready-Made Garment (RMG) factories in Bangladesh. Nirapon members work with their supplying factories to promote a safe working environment for Bangladesh garment factories, workers, managers, and owners, serving as the single point of contact for the member brands.
Acre has been engaged on a search to identify a Chief Safety Officer (CSO) who will lead the organisation and provide expert engineering advice, strategic leadership and technical direction to ensure the consistency, effectiveness, and sustainability of Nirapon's commitment to building safe and sustainable working conditions in approximately 600 factories across Bangladesh.
The CSO will have the flexibility to be based remotely in either Europe or the USA and will report to a Board of Directors. This role will have a close working relationship with Nirapon's country partners in Bangladesh with regular travel to Dhaka and various stakeholder meetings in the US and abroad.
Key duties will include:
- Oversight and strategic leadership of the organisation, including managing the in-country partners, managing budgets, managing the remotely based Nirapon team and serving as the technical lead on all safety matters.
- Assisting members with interpretation of technical safety requirements and serving as a point of contact and mediator between the factories, country partners and the member brands.
- Regular reporting back to the board and member brands on progress, metrics and KPI's in order for them to make educated decisions.
- Visiting Dhaka and meeting with service providers, factory owners representing the organisation and brands.
Nirapon member brands believe in helping build capacity in the local Bangladesh market to support the efforts of owners and managers of garment factories towards continuously improving factory and worker safety. Together, Bangladesh factory owners and their Nirapon member customers, can help make the Bangladesh RMG industry one of the safest in the world. You will represent some of the best-known North American global brands and global retailers in helping workers in Bangladesh gain security, safety and dignity. Nirapon's mission is to cultivate a safe working environment for Bangladesh garment factories, workers, owners and managers by serving as the point of contact on the ground for the collective efforts of its member brands.
The Chief Safety Officer will have:
- Thorough knowledge and practical experience of building, electrical and fire safety codes
- A degree level education in a related subject such as civil, structural or fire engineering
- Proven experience in leading an organisation related to life safety standards in a challenging environment
- A high level of social and cultural sensitivity with knowledge of human and labour rights being highly beneficial
- The ability to lead with utmost integrity
Extensive experience of working in relevant regions (namely Bangladesh, India, Sri Lanka, Vietnam and Cambodia and other parts of SE Asia)
This is an opportunity to have a significant impact on the safety of a nation of workers, and as such, it is one of the most important and high-profile roles in safety globally. To apply for this position, please submit your CV to this page. For more information, please contact
Apply for Chief Safety Officer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly