Safety, Health and Environmental Advisor
Safety, Health and Environmental Advisor
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
2 Year FTC
Are you an experienced Safety Health Practitioner looking to work for an innovative organisation like ours?
Are you a strong communicator both in terms of oral and written, topped with interpersonal skills?
Then we would like to hear from you.
The Science & Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is a partner organisation within UK Research and Innovation (UKRI). UKRI is a new entity that brings together nine partners to create an independent organisation with a strong voice for research and innovation, and a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.
About the role
We are looking for a Safety, Health and Environmental Advisor at our exciting Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (RAL) on a 2 year Fixed Term contract (maternity cover).
This is a key post within the STFC, reporting to the SHE Team Leader, facilitating the development and delivery of STFC Health and Safety and Environment policies. In a small team this is an opportunity for the STFC Safety Health and Environment (SHE) Group to add specific skills and experience in areas as diverse as science and engineering disciplines, or waste management.
This role is extremely varied and your main duties would include:
- Providing professional SHE advice and guidance to management, employees, tenants, and facility users and supporting them in discharging their responsibility for the implementation of the STFC SHE Management System
- Supporting development of the STFC’s documented SHE Codes based upon experience of internal application, audit findings, external best practice, and legislative changes identified through horizon scanning
- Managing and developing the provision of effective, efficient and professional SHE services to RAL based staff, contractors, tenants, visitors and users
- Ensuring that all RAL SHE incidents, including near misses, fires, environmental and vehicle incidents are reported, investigated appropriately and actions established to minimise the likelihood of their repetition and sharing STFC wide learning appropriately
- Monitoring and auditing the effectiveness and efficiency of the SHE Management System, its policies and procedures, at RAL and, as appropriate, at other STFC sites
- Communicating and liaising closely with the key stakeholders in the STFC SHE Management System, in particular, safety and environment committees, trade union safety representatives, Departmental Safety Contacts, nominated responsible persons, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and emergency services
- Assisting with the preparation and delivery of STFC specific SHE training programmes.
To be considered for this role, you will be educated to degree or HND level or equivalent in a science or engineering discipline, with demonstrable SHE advisory delivery experience. You will
demonstrate strong oral and written communication skills, evidencing excellent interpersonal skills deployed with staff at all levels. Additionally, you will have strong IT skills and specific experience of the Microsoft Office software suite. Although not essential, experience and knowledge of SHE management systems is highly advantageous and also a background and knowledge of construction/engineering and/or fire safety management.
What we offer
UK Research and Innovation recognises and values employees as individuals and aims to provide a pay and reward package that motivates staff to the best of their ability. The reward and benefit package includes a flexible working scheme, an excellent Defined Benefit pension scheme, 30 days annual leave allowance and a number of other benefits.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to include a cover letter outlining their suitability for this role.
For an informal discussion about this role, please contact Julie Black (Team Leader) on 01235 446378 or email Julie.firstname.lastname@example.org, or Graeme Finlan (Head of SHE) on 01925 603147 or email email@example.com
Applications are handled by UK Shared Business Services, to apply please click the apply button. Applicants who are unable to apply online should contact us by telephone on +44 (0)1793 867000.
The closing date for applications is 15th November 2020, and the anticipated date for interview is Monday 27th November 2020.