Health and Safety Officer
1 day left
- NEBOSH Qualification
- NEBOSH Certification
Purpose of the Job
Alongside Safeguarding, the Wellbeing and Health and Safety of all staff, volunteers and visitors at the Cathedral is of paramount concern to the Chapter. The breadth of work that needs to be undertaken to maintain a heritage building, from stone masons to electricians, and the need to be accessible to over 1,000,000 visitors a year, means that there is a constant need to be vigilant. As Health and Safety legislation moves forward, key Heads of Department, namely the Clerk of the Works and the Head of HR, are responsible for an increasingly large set of policies and procedures. This role is designed to provide support and reassurance that all Health and Safety policies and procedures across the Cathedral represent best practice, and that the Cathedral is a safe place for the whole community and hence have a long term impact to the benefit of all visitors and staff. This means reviewing, updating and where necessary producing policies and procedures, delivering training and ensuring they are embedded within the organisation. This role will work alongside existing staff to understand the challenges and ensure polices are robust, self-explanatory and embedded through training and evaluation.
- Working across the Cathedral, review and update, and where necessary develop, health and safety policies and procedures to ensure they reflect current legislation and best practice.
- Undertake a gap analysis to develop, deliver and monitor a review of all health and safety policies on a three-year risk-based rolling programme.
- Lead on developing, embedding and championing the health and safety culture and advise, liaise, communicate, motivate - and challenge where necessary - across the Cathedral to evaluate any changes required and fully embed these policies.
- Develop and deliver health and safety training, coaching and support.
- Manage the work of the Health & Safety Committee and the Fire Risk Board, consistent with the governance framework in place and ensure actions are completed in a timely manner.
- Review and develop the organisational level Risk Register for health and safety, support the development of departmental Risk Registers and review and support on the development of departmental Risk Assessments, coaching and influencing Heads of Department in effective health and safety risk management.
- Keep up-to-date on legislation, regulatory practice and guidance on relevant matters and ensure that the Health and Safety Committee and Chapter are kept advised of changes and their practical consequences for the Cathedral.
- Undertake and report on monitoring and auditing of health and safety standards as required.
- Maintain accurate data control records.
- Undertake accident and incident recording and investigation.
- A full knowledge of health and safety principles and recent experience of applying them in a similar context, and able to demonstrate how expertise has been kept up-to-date. Experience of working in a similar heritage environment would be an advantage.
- Minimum NEBOSH Certificate preferably with, or working towards, the NEBOSH Diploma.
- Experience of working in a consultative manner.
- Effective and clear communication skills both written and verbal.
- Strong IT skills in Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Experience of developing and implementing policies and procedures.
- Skills in formal and informal training delivery in an engaging and effective way for a wide range of staff.
- Ability to demonstrate examples of knowledge transfer.
- Ability to advise senior colleagues on complex matters, influence and build effective working relationships and proven success in improving organisational culture with regard to safety by helping bring it into everyone’s everyday practice.
- Understanding how to test policies in practice and monitor and report through KPIs.
- Thorough understanding of risk management.
- A robust nature and confidence in dealing with issues autonomously, with credibility, gravitas and diplomacy.
- Ability to work calmly and professionally.
- Experience of dealing with confidential information with complete discretion.
- Passionate and proactive, with demonstrable experience of raising the profile of Health and Safety and engaging people in its importance.
The individual will be in sympathy with, and in their work support, the Christian aims and mission of St Paul’s Cathedral.