Health & Safety Advisers x2
Health & Safety Advisers x2
Supporting Estates & Facilities or the University’s four academic Faculties and our Research, Business and Innovation team.
Permanent and full time
About us: The University’s Health and Safety Team have an exciting opportunity for an experienced health and safety professional who is looking to further develop their career in a future-focussed University. Through our work the University has already achieved a strong devolved health and safety approach to ensure collective leadership on this critical agenda and to support staff and student engagement. As the University looks ahead to 2030 and the implementation of its Strategy 2030, there will be a focused continual improvement on health and safety. This will be achieved through the implementation of the ‘Health, Safety and Workplace Wellbeing’ Roadmap 2030’ which has eight objectives and also annually set milestones to ensure this improvement.
The development and implementation of this ambitious Roadmap is driven by the Health and Safety Team. We are a small team of health, safety and fire professionals who provide a crucial service to the University in shaping and driving its health and safety culture and ensuring that it remains a sustained strategic priority. We strive to ensure this through robust strategies and policies, strong leadership, sound governance, excellent professional advice, targeted coaching and training and reliable performance monitoring and measurement.
As a Team we take pride in ensuring a professional and courteous approach at all times, we work in partnership with our customers and seek to ensure our communication is jargon free and risk proportionate. We aim to engage and encourage ownership and above all ensure the sharing of best practice across the University to build a perpetual health and safety culture.
About you: As a Health and Safety Adviser you will play a vital role in the Health and Safety Team and will help to ensure the delivery of the Health, Safety and Wellbeing Roadmap through direct work with our University customers and partners. You will provide a proactive and professional ‘business partner’ service to one of the University’s largest professional services, Estates and Facilities or to the University’s four academic Faculties and our Research, Business and Innovation team.
To be successful in the role you will need to demonstrate the following experience:
- A customer-focussed, pragmatic and proactive approach to health and safety.
- The ability to work with a high level of autonomy.
- A comprehensive understanding of the risks associated with hard and soft facilities management to include construction project management, contractor management, planned maintenance, security, cleaning and catering. (Estates & Facilities related)
- A thorough knowledge of current Health and Safety legislation, in particular construction safety and the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations. (Estates & Facilities related)
- Confidence in working within a diverse risk-based environment to include, but not limited to science laboratories, art/engineering workshops, research-based activity, fieldwork and overseas travel. (Faculties related)
- A thorough knowledge of current Health and Safety legislation, in particular chemical, biological, radiological and work equipment safety. (Faculties related)
- A detailed understanding of Health and Safety Management Systems.
- Good organisation skills, with the ability to work to tight deadlines, both prescribed and self-imposed.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with the demonstrable ability to produce concise written material.
This is an exciting opportunity to engage and influence at all levels and will be suited to individuals who have a real energy to drive towards a positive health and safety culture and corresponding behaviours.
About UWE Bristol: We are one of the largest providers of Higher Education in the South West with over 30,000 students, 250,000 alumni and 3,800 staff. We are both globally connected and regionally embedded, with strong employer and partner connections. Our staff and students come from over 160 countries making this a diverse, dynamic and rewarding place to work and study.
This post is based at our lively Frenchay campus though there will be travel required to all UWE Bristol Campuses. At the Frenchay campus we have invested in the latest facilities and resources to give both our staff and students access to everything they need to succeed – with £300m having been invested recently on new state-of-the-art learning spaces and accommodation while incredible new facilities continue to be developed to enhance our offer even further.
In addition to progressive pay rates, UWE Bristol offers a wide range of employee benefits.
If you would like an informal discussion about this opportunity please contact Alison Weeks on 0117 328 2076 or email: email@example.com.
This is a permanent and is full time working 37 hours per week. This post is not available on a job share basis.
We particularly encourage applications from BAME as we are currently under represented in these areas - although all appointments will be made on merit.
The University’s normal practice is that new appointments will be made at the starting point of the grade.
UWE is committed to supporting and promoting equality and diversity to create an inclusive working environment. We believe this can be achieved through attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse range of staff from many different backgrounds who share our ambition to be a university recognised for the success and impact of our practice-oriented programmes; our strong industry networks and our inclusive global outlook.
Closing date: Monday 3rd May at 11.59pm.
UWE is committed to equality and values diversity; to work for an employer that aspires to achieve excellence through inclusion, please click the Apply” button and use references: R02186 & R02187.