Salary: £37,890 - £40,876
Base: Yate & Home
How you’ll make a difference
As a professionally qualified Health and Safety practitioner you’ll contribute to the work of the Council's Health and Safety advisory service by supporting managers in fulfilling their statutory duties. You will also support the Health and Safety Manager in developing Policy and setting priorities for the team.
What will you be doing?
This role will lean towards being the lead contact for South Gloucestershire Councils Children, Adult and Health division.
- Every day is different giving you the opportunity to take ownership of managing your own workload and monitoring deadlines and key factor changes. Being able to take in your stride unexpected changes resulting in different priorities and challenges faced.
- You’ll actively support all our departments by monitoring health and safety performance and intervening as necessary to ensure statutory requirements are upheld. Including, travelling to other office locations and sites within the South Gloucestershire area and supporting our internal management at all levels to implement policy and to manage risk where policy or standards may require interpretation.
- Being able to develop monitoring systems and undertake health & safety audits of service areas including maintained schools to monitor risk management and statutory compliance and providing reports to the Corporate Health & Safety Manager.
- Liaising with external bodies, such as enforcement agencies (HSE, Fire Service) partner organisations. As well as communicating with our internal teams and departments of the council, employee representatives, Trade Union representatives, elected members and advising health & safety committees.
What we need from you
- You must be qualified to NEBOSH Dip 6 or equivalent and be CMIOSH or actively working towards CMIOSH with good post-qualification experience and a good understanding of the requirements of the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) order 2005.
- You should have sound knowledge and current H&S legislation and substantial experience in health & safety advisory role within a large organisation with a broad range of service activities and technical risks related to the Council’s activities.
- You’ll need considerable experience in developing and implementing health & safety policy initiatives, including persuading and influencing people of the key priorities and proposals. This will include working with employee safety representatives and Trade Unions.
- You will need significant experience in working with enforcement agencies (such as HSE, Fire service, Environment Agency) on behalf of a duty-holder organisation.
- You will have significant experience in incident investigation, report writing and supporting liability claim response. This will include analytical interpreting, negotiating and communication skills, which supports your experience in attending staff health and safety consultation meetings to deliver statistical data.
- How a career at South Gloucestershire Council is different
We know our team work best when they have balance in their lives and we offer genuine flexibility to help them achieve that work/life balance.
- We value our staff as individuals, investing in their careers and we are recognised for the quality, breadth and depth of our training and development offer, which helps make the greatest long-term difference in work.
- We have invested in the technology and support to enable staff to work seamlessly from home so we can ensure we are keeping staff safe during Covid-19. For those staff who may need to work in the office we have also ensured that our offices and hubs are Covid secure; and have measures in place such as one way systems, socially distanced work stations and hand sanitizer stations throughout our premises.
- We recognise that our diverse team of skilled and dedicated people make us a great place to work. We welcome applications from everyone and ensure that individuals are selected, promoted and developed on the basis of their merits and abilities.
Our teams at South Gloucestershire Council are making a real difference to the lives of people who live, work and learn here.
- We're building and shaping communities which people are proud of.
- We’re providing essential services across our internal network to ensure we can fully support our community.
- We've achieved a great deal, but we need talented and dedicated people to ensure we continue to make a difference.
We’re making a difference: be part of it!
Please note you must be you must be qualified to NEBOSH Dip 6 or equivalent and be CMIOSH
Interview scheduled for 27th & 28th September
For further information, please contact Sue Amor, Corporate Health & Safety Manager (Sue.email@example.com or 01454 864208)