SHE (Safety, Health & Environment) Advisor
Contract Type: Open ended
Hours: Full time, flexible working
Salary: £39,748 - £44,166 per annum dependent on experience
Location: Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington, Cheshire
Closing Date: 30th January 2022
Interview Date: Friday 4th February 2022
What we offer
We recognise and value employees as individuals and strive to provide a pay and rewards package that motivates staff to perform to the best of their ability and maintain a good work/life balance. This includes opportunities to develop your career through training and personal development, 30 days’ annual leave plus 10.5 public and privilege days, hybrid and flexible working hours, an outstanding defined benefit pension scheme, relocation package, access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme.
STFC Safety Health and Environment (SHE) Group is a small team that provides advice and support across all sites.
We are looking for a SHE Advisor with a strong background and experience in Environmental regulatory compliance. We are particularly interested in individuals who have a successful track record of working as scientists or engineers in a research setting – academic or industrial.
We will actively support successful candidates develop as rounded SHE advisors as well as financially supporting their qualification as SHE professionals.
This is an opportunity for SHE Group to add to our experience base, we are particularly looking for someone with experience of any of the following: ISO14001; Environmental Management Systems; electrical safety; contractor management; SHE auditing; occupational hygiene; and chemical safety.
This is a busy, varied and exciting role working closely with all departments giving great opportunities to use and develop your skills to make a difference to UK science.
There will be a requirement to visit and work at other STFC sites as appropriate to the individual’s responsibilities within the STFC SHE Management System.
Duties/responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Provide Health and Safety and Environmental advice and guidance to management, employees, tenants, and science facility users and support them in discharging their responsibility for the implementation of the STFC SHE Management System
- Support the development of the STFC’s documented SHE Management Systems and Codes based upon experience of internal application, audit findings, external good practices, and legislative changes identified through horizon scanning
- Contribute to the delivery of effective, efficient and professional SHE services to all those working from STFC sites: staff, contractors, tenants, visitors and science facility users.
- Ensure that all DL SHE incidents, including injuries, near misses, fires, environmental and vehicle incidents are reported, investigated appropriately and actions established to minimise the likelihood of their repetition. Sharing STFC wide learning appropriately
- Monitor and audit, the effectiveness and efficiency of the SHE Management System, its policies and procedures, at DL and as appropriate other STFC sites to drive continuous improvement
- Manage and develop the provision of effective, efficient and professional SHE services to STFC site based staff, contractors, tenants, visitors and users.
- Communicate and liaise closely with the key partners in the STFC SHE Management System, in particular, safety and environment committees, trade union safety representatives, Departmental Safety Contacts, those appointed to key SHE roles, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and emergency services.
- Prepare and deliver STFC specific on-line and face-to-face SHE training programmes.
- Educated to degree or HND level in a science or engineering discipline
- NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent qualification, or evidence of commencement and part completion of Diploma or equivalent qualification
- Experience as a H&S advisor working successfully in the science, engineering or technology sectors
- Experience working with Environmental issues including compliance
- A working knowledge of: SHE management systems, safe systems of work, current and forthcoming changes to relevant UK SHE legislation relevant to STFC operations
- A recognized environmental qualification, e.g. NEBOSH Certificate in Environmental Management, IMRA Certificate in Environmental Management or equivalents
- Strong IT skills and specific experience of the Microsoft office software suite, SharePoint etc.
- Successful development and delivery of face-to-face and/or on-line training
- Experience of planning, undertaking and reporting audits
- Full driving licence
Part of UK Research and Innovation (UKRI), the Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is a world-leading multi-disciplinary science organisation. We support university-based research and provide access to world-leading, large-scale science facilities across the physical and life sciences from our three national laboratories. We help to ensure that there is a future pipeline of skilled and enthusiastic people pursuing careers in science and engineering.
We’re committed to keeping the UK at the forefront of world-changing science and this requires excellence across all our support services. Now is an exciting time to join our team.
How to apply
If you would like to discuss this role informally please contact Graeme Finlan, Head of SHE, or Laura Davies, DL SHE Team Leader.
We reserve the right to close the vacancy once we have received sufficient applications, so we would advise you to submit your application as early as possible.
Applicants are required to include a CV and cover letter outlining their suitability for this role.
Applications are handled by UK Shared Business Services, to apply and to view the full role profile please click apply.