Health and Safety Advisor - Midlands (sites from South of Birmingham, Leamington, Worcester down to Oxford) - client-side construction/development company - £45k-£50k+car / allowance, pension
Ensures that Safety, Health and Environment requirements are implemented by our people and contractors, promoting a positive culture and that nothing is so important it cannot be done safely. The Health and Safety Advisor is a predominantly field based role and must be involved in all aspects of schemes from pre-construction through to completion and offer support to all departments.
• Involvement in pre-construction stage of schemes to ensure Health, Safety and Environment risks are assessed and there is adequate information available on managing those risks in the construction phase. Ensure the CDM process is effectively implemented.
• Assists in the development and ongoing review of the Construction Phase Plan and CEMP for each site.
• Involvement in Contractor assessment and capability at tender stage.
• Attends pre-start meetings with principal/higher risk trades to ensure clear communication on Health and Safety standards
• Ensure that Contractors works in any area of the business are adequately planned, properly documented and risk assessments and method statements are suitable. Responsible for checking all RA/MS for high risk works.
• Ensures that accountabilities and responsibilities defined within the H&S management system are clearly understood by everyone.
• Supports the H&S Team in the delivery of the H&S Plan and identified priorities
• Undertakes a H&S induction for new employees as required completing all associated documentation
• Promotes the Company’s Health, Safety and Environmental standards within our supply chain and conduct supply chain assessments and audits, as and when deemed necessary, and recommend any action required to ensure compliance with our Health & Safety standards
• Supports the regional site teams with the effective management of all incidents and ensure these are closed out within correct timescales.
• Supports the sales, site and customer service teams in the interpretation, guidance, and advice on the application of the H&S management system and any supporting policies, procedures, and processes to ensure clear understanding.
• Attend the Site Project Review Meetings on allocated sites every 2 months. Provide a H&S report and ensure monthly Contractor performance scores are completed.
• Liaison with HSE and other authorities as and when required
• Supports in the preparation and issue H&S Alerts / Bulletins and Posters
• Promote and lives the values
• Promote good practice where identified.
• Ensure health and wellbeing is promoted and resources identified where appropriate
• Maintain knowledge and adhere to relevant Group Policies and Procedures, Legislation and Regulation
• Undertake formal site inspections on allocated sites each month
• Undertake H&S inspections each month of Principal Contractors in control of sites.
• Undertake quarterly H&S check with Customer Service technicians
• Undertakes specific audits as identified within annual audit plan
• Checks non-compliance reports from both internal and external audits are being adequately closed-out with all corrective actions completed within agreed timescales
• Checks record keeping is maintained for all required information
• Distribute copies of reports and other information as required
• Checks compliance within Mi.RiSC for all allocated sites
• Must ensure detailed checking of accuracy of documentation and records
Experience, Skills and Knowledge required
• Relevant experience within a H&S role within the Construction industry
• Detailed understanding of CDM Regulations
• NEBOSH Construction certificate
• AIEMA desirable
• Minimum Tech IOSH working towards CMIOSH
• Full driving licence
• Attention to detail
• Actively manage own PDP
• Able to manage/prioritise workload effectively
• IT capability – Word/Excel/PowerPoint
• Understanding of general business systems and processes
• Organisation and personal time management