RESPONSIBLE TO: National Health & Safety Lead
KEY RELATIONSHIPS: National Health and Safety Lead, Cluster Asset Manager, Principal, Associate Principal; Assistant Principals, Academy Leadership Team; relevant teaching and support staff; LA representatives; external agencies; parents; local community; other Oasis Academies and Oasis Community Learning central staff
SALARY: SCP 39 – 43
- £42,614 - £47,665 National
- £44,628 - £49,674 Outer London
- £45,381 - £50,051 Inner London
START DATE: September 2022
LOCATION: Hybrid working with flexible base
WORKING PATTERN: Full Time (37 hours per week. Occasional unsocial hours with time off in lieu given), 52 weeks
DISCLOSURE LEVEL: Enhanced
JOB PURPOSE: To assist the National Health and Safety Lead on health and safety across the Oasis Academies and wider trust ensuring that in all aspects of our work policies and practice meet statutory requirements and there is a culture that puts exemplary health and safety of children and adults at the heart of all we do.
SPECIFIC TASKS RELATED TO JOB PURPOSE:
- Support the National Health and Safety Lead to champion and promote a positive health and safety culture across the assigned region
- Strategically and operationally implement and manage health and safety across the assigned Oasis Community Learning region.
- Ensure the region is well informed about health and safety so that they can carry out their duties effectively.
- Be the source of expert health and safety advice within the region and the first point of contact when significant issues arise.
- Support successful implantation of Oasis Community Learning’s Health and Safety Management System.
- Ensure the Trust health and safety policies and procedures are implemented in line with Oasis Community Learning’s Health and Safety Management System.
- Interpret and assess health and safety needs, whilst exercising judgement to ensure professional and practical health and safety advice is offered.
A. Policy Development & Management
- Keep up to date with legislative, policy and guidance developments in the health and safety arena.
- Ensure that the Trust’s health and safety policies and related policies and procedures are followed.
- Analyse regional health and safety data and produce reports, and make recommendations to evolve policy, practice, processes, and systems.
B. Audit & Compliance
- Support regional audit process and advise on audit action plans and communicate findings effectively.
- Ensure compliance within the agreed standards and KPIs.
- Oversee, monitor, and report on all aspects of regional health and safety training both online and offline.
- Support academies to deliver exceptional health and safety standards through the application of the OCL Health and Safety Management System
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships across the region, providing expert input and guidance to influence the development of health and safety practice.
- Act as a source of support, advice, and expertise to staff across the region.
- Act as a regional champion of the Health & Safety policy and procedures by ensuring that all staff and volunteers have access to and are aware of their responsibilities as well as how to implement the policy and procedures.
- Maintain accurate and secure records.
- Attend relevant training/refresher courses and forums to reinforce and enhance Health & Safety knowledge and practice and disseminate to colleagues.
- Ensure that the region is well prepared for MAT level inspections which will include health and safety.
- To drive a culture and process of continuous improvement and instigate reflective learning and practice. Signposting good practice guidance to the Region.
- To contribute to robust mechanisms for monitoring and management of Health & Safety across Oasis, providing guidance, support and escalation for Health & Safety issues that arise.
- Ensure the relevant audit tools and risk logs are completed in a timely manner across the Region.
- To provide support, through mentorship and guidance, so that Health & Safety Champions across the Region are confident in dealing with health and safety issues and know when and how to escalate.
- Obtain access to resources and help create training resources to be used by staff/volunteers.
- Contribute to the development of the OCL health and safety training model, and where appropriate provide training.
- Signpost training opportunities to staff/volunteers to attend.
- Be a Health & Safety subject specialist and support the National Health and Safety Lead on organisational decision making.
- Support the National Health and Safety Lead on any new legislation, national guidance, service development, projects or approaches and advise from a health and safety perspective.
10. Lead Regional Improvement Networks for health and safety.
11. Act as the advisor to the Academy Health and Safety Committees.
E. Analysis, Reporting and Documentation
- Analyse and review safe working practices across the Region and assist with updating/reviewing of documents and procedures, as part of the OCL Health and Safety Management System.
- Analyse and interpret audit results, accident, near miss data to identify trends and/or test reasonably practicable solutions for implementation. Ensure data and analytics are presented in a clear and understandable format
- Conduct, liaise or participate in health and safety and accident investigations, working with relevant agencies and report to appropriate authorities.
- Establish constructive relationships and communicate with other external agencies/professionals key partner organisations to ensure the Oasis family works in partnership with others outside of the Trust.
F. Safeguarding children and young people
Oasis is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. We expect all staff to share this commitment and to undergo appropriate checks, including an enhanced DBS check.
The above responsibilities are subject to the general duties and responsibilities contained in the Statement of Conditions of Employment.
The duties of this post may vary from time to time without changing the general character of the post or level of responsibility entailed.