Safety Health & Environment Specialist (Assurance)
Vacancy Type: Full-time but flexible working patterns will be considered.
Band & Salary: Band 4B (£35,582 - £40,029)
There are 2 permanent positions available:
1 Safety Health & Environment Secialist in the Assurance discipline
1 Safety Health & Environment Specialist in the Risk Improvement discipline
We’re an organisation where people matter. We matter to millions.
We offer excellent benefits, including:
- Flexible working patterns such as working from home and working compressed hours
- A range of pension schemes
- Healthcare Scheme
- Rail and underground season ticket subsidies up to 75%
- 28 days annual leave, plus bank holidays and volunteering days (5 days)
- 2 weeks paid reserve leave for our Armed Forces community
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- GymPass – Access to gyms across the UK
- Access to ‘My Benefits’ portal which include discounts in food, technology and experience days
Click ‘apply for this job’ to apply. If you would like to speak to the Resourcing Team, please contact Emily.Smith3@networkrail.co.uk
This role sits in Route Services, a business area that has been created to supply services to the routes in the safest, most cost-efficient and effective way, enabling them to benefit from economies of scale and optimised national resources.
The Safety, Health, Environment and Quality (SHEQ) team provide subject matter advice, assurance, direction, and support to Route Services business areas, delivering on the SHEQ strategy, on high-risk areas of improvement and Occupational Health and Wellbeing. The team takes a lead role on all areas of SHEQ by providing support to Route Services functional teams and working with them to deliver strategic SHEQ objectives to support the business with a Railway Fit for the Future, Everyone Home Safe Every day and Everyone Fit for the Future.
To provide specialist support in Safety, Health, Wellbeing, Environment and Sustainable Development for the Route Services function, supporting the development of culture change and maintaining robust risk and assurance processes.
- Deliver strategies, plans and programmes defined in the Safety Health and Environment strategy, for building risk management capability, systems, processes, competences and culture to support the effective management of Safety Health and Environment.
- Deliver the Safety Health and Environment requirements of the management system framework to establish a consistent approach that can evolve, be integrated into core processes and activities and deliver improvements in capabilities and performance.
- Deliver an integrated Safety Health and Environment assurance plan to provide the Route services leadership and teams with appropriate levels of assurance over different Safety Health Environment risks, including compliance.
- Provide functional input for programmes of improvement to improve capabilities in risk management, assurance over risk controls and to support organisational learning.
- Provide subject matter specialist support in investigations as required by company standards and learning to inform continuous improvement and improved organisational knowledge.
- Collate and distribute management reports, insights, communications and engagement that help stakeholders make decisions that improve the management of Safety Health and Environment risks.
- Provide subject matter technical specialist support to Route Services teams by delivering Safety Health and Environment services efficiently and effectively with risks being well managed and controls are assured.
- Advise and support culture maturity and change to create the environment for effective risk management and the delivery of the Safety Health and Environment strategy.
- Support Safety Health & Environment Managers in providing advice on regulatory and internal requirements, including stakeholder engagement and regulatory liaison to assist in managing stakeholder relationships.
Sound interested? This is what you will need to have:
- Knowledge and experience of working with appropriate ISO management system standards in a complex business, e.g. ISO 9001, 14001 and 45001
- Demonstrable experience of internal auditing of SHE activities in a high-risk industry
- Relevant experience in SHE and/or Q Governance, Risk, Assurance and Improvement in highly complex or high hazard organisations
- Experience in preparing and reviewing SHE insights and communications
- Strong influencing and communication skills
- Good understanding of the UK and European legislative framework and requirements
- Membership of or working towards membership of a relevant SHE professional body
- Educated to degree level
- Internal or Lead audit trained
- NEBOSH H&S Certificate or equivalent
- Experience of Health and Safety, Quality and/or Environmental management
- Experience of risk management in High Hazard industries
- Experience of Supply Chain Management and Assurance
We are committed to a diverse workplace enriched with representation from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and skills. We pride ourselves on creating an environment where difference is embraced, and individuals can thrive. We recognise that the success of the team is dependent on a multi-cultural, multi-disciplined group of individuals, aligned to deliver successful solutions.
At Network Rail, we have several employee networks to reflect our diverse population and help to raise issues to the wider workforce and support their membership and support our Everybody Matters strategy, led by our central Diversity & Inclusion team. We have Diversity & Inclusion Champions who take part and lead on many activities, to drive through more initiatives to support an inclusive environment for all its people and promote a professional and positive working environment. For more information on Diversity & Inclusion at Network Rail, please follow this link
About the company
We’re an organisation where people matter. We matter to millions.
Our role is to run a safe, reliable and efficient railway, serving customers and communities. We exist to get people and goods where they need to be and to support our country’s economic prosperity. Safety is our number one priority.
We're undertaking an ambitious change. Our vision is Putting Passengers First - becoming a company that is on the side of passengers and freight users.
As one of the UK’s leading equal opportunities employers, our values and the way we behave is important to us and we have created an environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution. We have seven employee networks that provide fantastic support, opportunities and development for applicants from all backgrounds. Click here for more information
(External and Contractors) Drugs and Alcohol Standard:
Our Drugs and Alcohol Standard is changing as of 16.01.2023. All prospective candidates who have not been offered a conditional role by 16.01.2023 will be required to undergo and pass a drugs and alcohol test. Your application will be rescinded if you record a positive test. All positive drugs and alcohol test results for prospective candidates will be securely held on Sentinel database and a 5 year suspension from applying for a safety critical role, a role which requires PTS certification or a Key Safety role on Network Rail Managed Infrastructure will be enforced.